Friday, February 15, 2013

What's the point?

Classes recommenced for my visual arts course this week - something that I have been craving and anticipating with excitement for some time now.

I am privileged to be in a situation where I can devote time to study and so I have struggled to comprehend why I would come away from this week feeling so flat and lacking in confidence.

Often I forget that persistence is the key to feeling satisfied with the artwork that I produce. Only by fully committing myself to the work through practice, will it improve and my capabilities expand. I have an abundance to learn and gain here.

As a beginner and amongst a cohort of extraordinarily talented young students in class, I have a tendency to single myself out as the only one who must be doubting themselves.  Yet, if I know anything about the art world it is that many artists suffer the same affliction.

So today, I am picking myself up and dusting myself off and am once again finding solace in the work of John Keats. While out on a walk this morning, I was listening to the soundtrack from the film 'Bright Star'.  In the film, the John Keats character is describing the mystery of poetry to his love, Fanny Brawne, and of the need to understand it through the senses.

The point of diving into a lake
is not immediately to swim to the shore
but to be in the lake
to luxuriate in the sensation of water.
You do not work the lake out,
it is an experience beyond thought.


It reminds me that the point of my study is to 'luxuriate in the sensation' of learning... just relax and enjoy the process.

5 comments:

  1. Wise words for the doubter in us all. Hope this week sees some luxuriating for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a better week thanks Yenny... and thanks for your ongoing support - makes it that much easier to put myself 'out there' :)

      Delete
  2. ... and around it goes, thanks LP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard to meet an artist ... young, old, experienced, beginning... who does not have major swings between liking what they are doing and loathing it. I've seen it get more pronounced the longer the person continues and the more well received the work.

    Your thought to 'luxuriate in the sensation' is smart! What I do when there's too much inner noise is stop and reconnect with the story, or purpose behind the work... or the value it has for me. Something eternal and bigger than my small self.
    The more I can live out of that space the less haunted i am by my troublesome self.

    Your photos ar exquisite and I sneaked a look at some lovely things you are doing. Just be with your process and you'll be right... most of the time!
    Sophie
    ps thanks for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete